Liverpool legend David Fairclough has questioned crocked striker Daniel Sturridge’s ‘attitude and desire.’The England forward’s Reds’ career has been plagued by injuries, with the 26-year-old missing the majority of the last year with a series of ongoing problems.Sturridge hasn’t played since the Merseyside derby on October 4 and has yet to feature under new Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, and Fairclough feels there may be a psychological factor behind his continued absences.“Daniel has real star quality but he has to work on his attitude and desire,” Fairclough told Hawksbee and Jacobs.“Picking up these little knocks – surely from time to time they aren’t as bad as first feared?“Maybe the medical team offers players excuses because the modern footballer would not have gone through the pain barrier like older players did.“You do have to be careful but sometimes you hope people show their grit and determination and put it aside to get out there.”Klopp confirmed Sturridge’s most recent knock will definitely keep him out of Wednesday’s League Cup clash with Bournemouth, while the German refused to put a time scale on the striker’s return.
1 Jose Mourinho at Brighton No sooner had Jose Mourinho released a statement saying he wouldn’t be taking time off from football, than he was spotted showing up at a Championship club.The former Chelsea manager appeared in the Amex Stadium stands to see a top of the table clash between leaders Middlesbrough and undefeated Brighton.There have already been plenty of jokes flying around this season about Mourinho preparing to sample life in the Championship.Well, now he is!Where do you think Mourinho will manage next? Comment below.
1 Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has labelled Tottenham and England striker Harry Kane ‘the best goalscorer in the Premier League.’Kane produced a stunning breakthrough season last year and has expelled any hint of a ‘one-season wonder’ tag by plundering another 17 in all competitions this campaign.Palace, in contrast, have struggled for goals and haven’t found the net since beating Stoke before Christmas, and Pardew professed his envy and admiration of Kane’s ability.“Spurs have the best goalscorer in the Premier League, in my opinion, in Harry Kane,” Pardew said.“In terms of the run they are on, they have confidence, their squad is strong and that gives them a massive advantage.“If Kane was in our team we’d be in the top four.”Spurs have cemented a top-four spot this season and, assessing the impact of their manager Mauricio Pochettino, Pardew added: “Pochettino has done terrifically well in both his jobs in England.“He’s got what he wants on the pitch. He’s got a chance of a really decent legacy there.“Whether you can have a legacy in the current game, I don’t know, but you can dream.” Harry Kane
Robert Pires has announced his retirement from football.Yes, Robert Pires.Apparently he’s been playing for FC Goa in India.How did we miss that?!Here is a selection of tongue-in-cheek reaction to the retirement that shocked the football world. Sort of. 1 ‘Shhh, don’t tell anyone me and Jermaine are still playing’
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger 1 Arsene Wenger has confirmed that he will have money to spend in the summer – but reminded Arsenal fans that will not help this year’s title bid one bit.Reports have suggested that Wenger will be given as much as £75m to spend when the window opens amid reports that a new striker is high on his wish list.And the Frenchman says the club will not be short of cash this summer should they wish to strengthen the squad.He said: “I think if we want to buy at the end of the season, money will be available.“But the money before the end of the season will not help us.”Reports have also suggested that talented duo Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are also close to agreeing new contracts in north London.However, Wenger said: “No, that’s not close.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Ray Rice provided a more conventional 181 yards on 39 carries for Rutgers (5-2, 2-1 Big East) and Mike Teel threw two touchdown passes to Tiquan Underwood. “We just went out there and played our best football,” Rice said. The Bulls (6-1, 1-1) had their eight-game winning streak come to an end, no doubt to the delight of Boston College, LSU, Oklahoma and the rest of the teams hoping to grab the second spot in the BCS standings USF held this week. Matt Grothe threw for 247 yards and a touchdown and ran for 58 yards, but Rutgers’ defense swarmed South Florida’s multitalented quarterback in the second half and sacked him seven times in the game. A week after No. 2 California lost to Oregon State and two weeks after then-No. 2 USC was upset by Stanford, the Bulls became the 11th top-10 team to fall to an unranked opponent this season. Though Rutgers, which started the season ranked 16th, but fell out after two straight losses last month, might not be unranked much longer. Utah 27, TCU 20: Darrell Mack pounded his way for 100 yards rushing with a touchdown and Utah won its fourth straight game since starting quarterback Brian Johnson returned from injury, beating TCU in Fort Worth, Texas. Mack’s fourth straight 100-yard game – on 32 carries – and Johnson’s return coincide with the winning streak that has kept the Utes (5-3, 2-2 Mountain West) on the fringe of contending for the conference title. Johnson, who missed three games after separating his shoulder in the season opener, completed 13 of 20 passes for 120 yards and a touchdown. His only interception didn’t hurt the Utes. TCU (4-4, 1-3), with three 11-win seasons the past four years, already has three losses to teams ahead of the Frogs in the Mountain West standings.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! From news services It’s not easy being No. 2 – just ask South Florida. The Bulls became the third second-ranked team to lose in the last three weeks, having their unexpected unbeaten run snapped by tricky Rutgers, 30-27, on Thursday night in Piscataway, N.J. Third-string quarterback Andrew DePaola threw a 15-yard touchdown pass off a fake field goal to give the Scarlet Knights the lead in the third quarter and Rutgers also used a fake punt to set up a field goal in the first quarter.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Thousands of residents are without telephone, cable television and Internet service after wildfires and strong winds across the region damaged fiber-optic cables, officials said Monday. About 9,500 Charter Communications customers in Malibu, Agoura Hills, parts of Calabasas, Hidden Hills, unincorporated areas of Topanga and an unincorporated area next to Woodland Hills are without service, spokesman Craig Watson said. Customers lost power Sunday afternoon after flames burned hundreds of feet of a fiber-optic cable that provides service to nine out of 10 Malibu customers. Charter customers should be able to watch Channels 2, 4 and 7 if they unplug their television cable from their cable box and plug it directly into their television, Watson said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Hundreds of Time Warner Cable customers in Santa Clarita, Stevenson Ranch, Canyon Country and Copper Canyon lost Internet, phone and television service because of high winds, commercial power outages and wildfires. But thousands of customers already have had their service restored, said spokeswoman Patti Rockenwagner. The number of people without power “is truly dynamic and it depends on the situation,” Rockenwagner said. Crews for both companies have to wait for roads to reopen to make repairs, making it difficult to estimate when service will be restored.
Edwards said she was stunned to read about the other school with the similar name in a Daily Breeze article Thursday. The group affiliated with Riordan has said it would submit a petition in mid-November. “That would be something that would have to change,” Edwards said about the name. “I believe it’s on a first-come, first-served basis.” In an e-mail Friday, Rebecca Bunn, Riordan Foundation president, said she was not aware of Edwards’ group. One of the groups would need to pick a different name, said Greg McNair, the chief administrative officer for LAUSD’s charter school division. “We will definitely try to convince them to change their names if they choose a name that is similar to an existing school,” McNair said. “The person who will have to change is the person who comes in second in terms of getting the charter approved.” The New Millennium group plans to open in the fall with 150 ninth-graders. Backers haven’t chosen a location but would rent space. The Millennium High group plans to open in the fall with 215 ninth- and 10th-graders. Both schools would add an additional grade level each year, eventually reaching about 500 to 600 high school students. Both schools also would have a technology orientation, but the Edwards group plans to offer technology curriculum as a vocational program. Edwards has made inroads with California State University, Dominguez Hills. The four-year university would offer college-level courses in digital media arts and computer programming to the students. Carson residents James and Melba Kirkendoll, an engineer and retired technology officer with the Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency, have been chosen as board members, Edwards said. The group’s September charter proposal was its second. In 2005, the group requested a charter as El Camino High from LAUSD and Centinela Valley Union High School District. Both were denied. firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CARSON: Two groups have applied to open charter schools with the word in their names. By Paul Clinton STAFF WRITER Let the battle for the millennium begin. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Two groups planning to open technology-oriented charter schools in Carson in September are on a collision course over naming rights. Each group has claimed the word millennium, moves unlikely to pass the Los Angeles Unified School District’s filter if it ultimately grants the schools their operating charters. Earlier this month, a group with ties to former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan announced plans for the New Millennium Secondary School. Unbeknownst to them, two teachers submitted a petition for Millennium High School a month earlier. Lisa Edwards, a Spanish instructor at El Camino College, and Stephany Glover, a substitute teacher at Curtiss Middle School in Carson, say they’ll open an independent high school with ninth and 10th grades in the fall.
Brown said arson investigators first talked to the boy’s parents Oct. 22 after determining the blaze began the day before outside their Agua Dulce home. The home was not damaged in the fire, Brown said. Investigators initially considered a downed power line as the source of the Buckweed Fire. The boy was staying on a ranch where his parents helped care for horses. Someone who knew the boy told the Times he was distraught about the destruction.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Jacob Adelman The Associated Press Authorities said Wednesday they had not decided whether to charge a boy who while playing with matches started a blaze that ripped through 38,000 acres and destroyed 21 homes. They said the boy, whose name has not been released, admitted to starting the fire in north Los Angeles County during interviews with investigators. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The District Attorney’s Office was “not sure whether they’ll bring any charges, given that it was an accidental fire,” said Los Angeles County fire Capt. Michael Brown. “It was a child-set fire, but it is not clear what his intentions were at this time,” said Los Angeles County sheriff’s homeland security department Chief Bill McSweeney. McSweeney said the boy was 12, but the Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site Wednesday that he was 10. The conflicting information couldn’t immediately be clarified. Downed power lines, arson and construction workers have been blamed with starting other fires that destroyed some 2,100 homes and blackened 809 square miles from Los Angeles County to the Mexican border over the past 10 days.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsFormerly known as the Willard Asylum for the Insane, the hospital opened in 1869 about 300 miles northwest of New York City, and it closed 126 years later. “It was started as the state’s hospital for people who were considered hopeless,” said Darby Penney, a former state mental health official and the other co-author of the book due out in January from Bellevue Literary Press. “They weren’t trying to help anybody get better,” Penney said. “They were warehousing people, and they tried to do it as cheaply as possible.” The exhibit features artifacts from just three of the suitcases found in an abandoned attic at Willard, along with information about 10 former patients the book profiles. Stastny and Penney received permission to view medical records of the 10, all dead. NEW YORK – One left a starter pistol and a blue suit jacket, barely worn. Another left a lace-trimmed christening gown, probably made for an infant daughter who died. The artifacts, part of an exhibit opening today at the New York Public Library, were culled from 400 suitcases left behind by patients at the Willard Psychiatric Center in upstate New York, which closed in 1995. The exhibit sheds light on patients who spent decades at the state institution for the insane, arriving with their belongings and, in most cases, never leaving. “There were one or two people who had access to their belongings somehow over the years. But most of them never saw their stuff again,” said Dr. Peter Stastny, a psychiatrist who is an organizer of the exhibit and co-author of an upcoming book, “The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases From a State Hospital Attic.” Frank, a natty dresser whose suitcase contained the jacket and starter pistol, was an Army veteran who made a scene when he was served a meal on a chipped plate at a Brooklyn restaurant in 1945. “I thought that someone planned to kill me,” he told a doctor at Kings County Hospital. Frank arrived at Willard nine months after the restaurant incident and was deemed incurably insane. He was eventually transferred to a veterans facility, where he died in 1986. Ethel’s suitcase contained the christening gown along with booties, a knitted baby bonnet and six silver spoons. Ethel was 40 when her marriage to an abusive husband ended in 1930. She had two living children, and two daughters had died in infancy. Her landlady told authorities that Ethel “constantly consulted the spirits about where she should go and what she should do.” Ethel denied the accusations but was committed to Willard and died there in 1973. Willard housed more than 3,000 patients in its fullest years, from 1910 to 1920. It was a small city that ran on the unpaid labor of patients who made clothing, shoes and bricks, grew food and worked in the slaughterhouse and blacksmith’s shop. That practice ended after 1973 when courts ruled patients at institutions were covered by the Fair Labor and Standards Act and could not be forced to work for free.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!