Tag: 扬州夜网梧桐客栈

Violence, arrests and censorship in all four corners of India

first_img In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival Reporters Without Borders condemns a wave of violence and censorship against the media in various parts of the country in the past few weeks, including beatings of journalists and media restrictions in Kashmir, a newspaper editor arrested in Tamil Nadu, TV stations attacked in New Delhi and Maharashtra, a journalist fatally injured in a bombing in Uttar Pradesh and a Japanese journalist denied a visa. Armed conflict between Maoist guerrillas and government security forces is also having disturbing repercussions on journalists in the affected states, especially Chhattisgarh, under threat from both sides.All these incidents jeopardise the safety and freedom of the media.“The many political and social conflicts in India do not alone explain the level of violence and intolerance towards the media, especially as the state governments and the authorities in New Delhi are at least partly responsible for many of these press freedom violations,” Reporters Without Borders said. “’We urge Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to issue a public reminder that press freedom must be enforced with the same determination throughout the country.”Editor detained in Tamil NaduReporters Without Borders calls for the release of A. S. Mani, the editor of the Tamil-language magazine Naveena Netrikkan, who has been held since 19 July in Chennai, in the southeastern state of Tamil Nadu. One of his colleagues told Reporters Without Borders he was arrested on the orders of Police Commissioner S. R. Jangid after publishing a story about a case of alleged corruption within the police.Mani already spent a month in prison in 2009 (http://en.rsf.org/india-editor-released-after-a-month-in-05-11-2009,3491…). On his release, he told Reporters Without Borders: “Press freedom and press rights are being considerably curtailed by political pressures, particularly in Tamil Nadu. The press is not able to expose the evil at the roots of the society” (http://en.rsf.org/india-two-journalists-held-in-different-04-12-2009,352…).TV stations ransackedIn New Delhi, the headquarters of the Headlines Today TV station were attacked by several thousand Hindu nationalist activists including members of Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) on 16 July after the station linked RSS leaders to bombings on Muslim targets. A Headlines Today journalist told Reporters Without Borders that a cameraman was injured and the station sustained a lot of damage.Also on 16 July, a crowd forced its way into a studio in the Marathi-language TV station Ze 24 Taas in Kolhapur, in the western state of Maharashtra, as it was about to broadcast a debate on the border dispute with the neighbouring state of Karnataka. Two of the station’s employees were injured. The nationalist group Shiv Sena was blamed. According to Indian press reports, 11 Shiv Sena members surrendered to the police and were released on bail. Visa cancelledThe central government has meanwhile refused to extend the visa of Shogo Takahashi, the New Delhi bureau chief of Japanese state broadcaster NHK since 2008. He has been forced to leave the country. Indian press reports said the government thought his reporting was too negative and focused too often on poverty. Takahashi had helped to produced a documentary series called “Indo no Shogeki” (The Impact of India).Several dozen foreign journalists are currently barred from reporting in India because the authorities refuse to give them visas.Beatings and restrictions in KashmirIn the northern state of Jammu and Kashmir, journalists were subjected to major restrictions from 7 to 9 July because of a curfew imposed by the police and army in response to a wave of demonstrations and unrest. Reporters were unable to move about in the summer capital, Srinagar, because the local authorities cancelled their curfew passes. No newspapers were published on 10 July in protest against the restrictions.Several incidents involving journalists were reported in connection with the demonstrations. Members of the Central Reserve Police Force beat 12 journalists covering a demonstration on 6 July. On the same day, Izhar Wani of Agence France-Presse wanted to rush home after being told that his wife and daughters had fainted from the effects of all the tea-gas discharged in the area. But he was prevented because his pass had been cancelled. Mark Magnier of the Los Angeles Times was hit by a police officer near Srinagar’s Lake Dal on 7 July. Riyaz Masroor of the BBC’s Urdu-language service sustained a fracture to his left hand when policemen hit him on 9 July. “I left my home because the Department of Information called me to collect my pass, but policemen on the street attacked me with batons,” Masroor told Reporters Without Borders.Suhail Bukhari of the TV station NewsX was arrested on 10 July after getting his facts wrong in a report. He and the station apologised for the mistake but they are facing the possibility of being prosecuted on a charge of inciting violence. As a result of the protests and unrest in Kashmir, the authorities imposed new restrictions on the free flow of information: censorship of local cable TV stations, censorship of certain Facebook pages and restrictions on mobile phones during the demonstrations. The newspaper Greater Kashmir reported that the organisers of a Facebook group were summoned for questioning by the police for posting reports and video footage of the rioting in Srinagar.Killed by a bombFinally, Reporters Without Borders is saddened to learn that Vijay Pratap Singh, a veteran reporter for the Indian Express daily, died on 20 July in a military hospital in New Delhi from the injuries he received when a bomb went off outside the home of Uttar Pradesh finance minister Nand Gopal Nandi in Bahadurganj on 12 July. The minister, who appeared to be the target, and four other people were also injured by the explosion. Singh leaves a wife, a five-year-old son and a daughter aged 11 months. News Organisation India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s media April 27, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on India Receive email alerts June 10, 2021 Find out morecenter_img IndiaAsia – Pacific News RSF_en to go further IndiaAsia – Pacific News July 23, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Violence, arrests and censorship in all four corners of India RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 March 3, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Continue Reading

Duncan Hall hosts tower climb in honor of 9/11 first responders

first_imgHaving lived in New York during their childhoods, sophomores Conor Milligan and Patrick Creaven were both directly impacted by the events of 9/11.Creaven’s dad, who lived in New York at the time, watched the plane fly into the south tower and had friends who were killed in the tragedy. Milligan’s family knew a police officer — Ramon Suarez — who died while rescuing people.So the two Duncan Hall residents came together last spring and started planning a new dorm signature event to honor first responders — particularly those who sacrificed their lives in the aftermath of the terrorist attack. On 9/11, this Wednesday, Duncan Hall will host ND 110, a “9/11 Tower Climb,” to raise money for Heart 9/11, a charity founded by New York first responders.CLAIRE KOPISCHKE | The Observer “There’s a lot of talk going on now about how the police are terrible and disrespecting them, but they put their lives on the line every time they go on the clock [and] even if they’re off the clock, because [they] keep our communities safe,” Milligan said.Participants will climb 110 flights of stairs, the number that firefighters had to climb in the Twin Towers. The event will be held in Jordan Hall, and organizers estimate it will take about 45 minutes to complete the 24 laps of the front, south-side staircase which equals 110 flights of stairs.“It’s not a race — it’s in honor of the firefighters,” Milligan said. “Not everyone starts at 5 o’clock. People come in and it takes about 45 minutes, but you come and do it at your own pace.”The event will run from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. with participants staggered in waves of up to 100 at a time. The event took inspiration from Storm the Stadium, an annual University event sponsored by the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs. Milligan and Creaven met with firefighters who said they felt the event was more focused on honoring members of the military and wanted to create an event specifically geared towards recognized first responders.“I know a decent amount of them went to Storm the Stadium but … it’s not for them specifically,” Creaven said. “So for them to have something for them [specifically], they appreciate it a lot.”Milligan said he and Creaven discussed the event with firefighters from the South Bend Fire Department in April and began looking at ways to recognize first responders in particular on campus.”We met with them and sort of asked them, ‘Do you guys feel like an event like Storm the Stadium really accommodates first responders?’” Milligan said. “And they mentioned that, especially in a community like South Bend, there’s sort of a disconnect between the community and first responders, and then also that divide between campus and South Bend. So they were like, ‘Yeah, Storm the Stadium is great, but it’s for military and veterans.’“So a first responder event was something that they really wanted. … We thought this would be a good way to bridge the campus-community divide and sort of unite us with first responders.”About a dozen first responders have already signed up for the event, amongst 55 pre-registered participants. Creaven and Milligan said they hope to have at least 200 participants in order to raise around $2,000 for Heart 9/11.Milligan said the tower climb is the only event of its kind within a two-hour radius of campus. As such, he said he hopes the event will have even more of an appeal in the local area.“The closest one might be in Chicago,” he said. “So, it’d be a good draw to get an event in the Michiana area. And Notre Dame is really good at hosting large events, with football and everything so [it] can very easily tack on something like this.”Creaven and Milligan spent months planning the event, submitting their SAO request during the summer. This is the first year Duncan Hall will host the tower climb. In past years, the dorm considered the Bald and the Beautiful to be its signature event, though the popular event is now run through a club.Milligan said he looks forward to honoring firefighters and first responders at Wednesday’s event, as the community comes together to remember 9/11.“It’s a defining moment for our country,” Milligan said. “A lot of us on campus now were very, very young when it happened, but it shaped our daily lives, so we never forget that it happened.” Participation in the event is free for first responders and costs $15 for other members of the community. Event t-shirts can also be purchased for $15. Registration is available online and at the time of the event.Tags: 9/11, climb, Duncan Hall, honorlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Gillian Zucker leaves Auto Club Speedway to join NBA’s Clippers

first_imgFONTANA — Gillian Zucker, who has guided Auto Club Speedway through peaks and valleys since taking over in 2005, is leaving the track and not only changing jobs, but also sports.Zucker, presently the only woman in charge of a major motorsports venue in the country, is heading for the NBA and the Los Angeles Clippers. The team announced Thursday she will be the president of business operations.“I am extremely happy to add a leader like Gillian to our team,” Clippers owner Steve Ballmer said in a prepared statement. “Her clear and creative business vision, innovative approach to marketing and experience working in the Los Angeles sports market make her the perfect fit to lead the Clippers during this transcendent time.”Zucker’s starting date with the team was not part of the announcement. Ballmer is putting together his own front office staff after purchasing the team from Donald Sterling this summer for a record $2 billion. The team will be able to tap into Zucker’s extensive business experience.While at the Fontana track, Zucker was in charge of all aspects of the ACS business — operations, ticketing, finance, communications and marketing. Prior to her arrival in Southern California, she worked as vice president of business operations and development at Daytona International Speedway for International Speedway Corp.In that role, Zucker managed the track’s multi-million dollar budget and directed operations for the Daytona 500 Experience. She joined ISC in 1998 as director of business development for the then-new Kansas Speedway, then was promoted to vice president of operational development.In fact, at one point, the Hamilton College graduate was selected one of the five most powerful women in motorsports.“What an exciting time to be part of the L.A. Clippers,” said Zucker. “There’s something special happening in this organization that has captured the attention of Los Angeles, the NBA and the nation. Steve Ballmer’s energy and enthusiasm is contagious and inspiring. We are just getting started.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img Zucker — the fourth president of the speedway that opened in 1997 following Greg Penske, Scott Atherton and Bill Miller — guided the track through some tough times, linked to the sagging economy in Southern California. The venue, which enjoyed sellouts from its opening in 1997 to the first race in 2004, dipped in attendance and eventually lost one of its two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races in 2011.“Moving our Auto Club 500 event from February to March provides us the opportunity to show off the area’s beautiful weather,” Zucker said as the 2011 NASCAR schedule was revealed. “We remain committed to providing unforgettable experiences to our loyal fans and we will continue to look at ways to diversify our schedule.”From that point on, Zucker and her staff reversed the trend.After a four-year absence by the IndyCar Series, she convinced the open-wheel sanctioning body to end its season in Fontana, surpassing attendance expectations in the process. It declined this year when the race was moved to Labor Day Saturday.“Gillian has worked tirelessly over the past nine years at Auto Club Speedway, raising the profile of NASCAR in the L.A. market,” said ISC president John Saunders. “We are proud of her accomplishments in the motorsports industry and appreciate the leadership and hard work invested in our company over the past 16 years.“We wish her only the best moving forward. She is a class act and will be missed by the entire ISC family.”Roger Curtis, president of Michigan International Raceway, worked at ACS for Zucker for two years and gives her credit for the track revival in one of the toughest markets in the country.“She was a good fit for the market at that time,” said Curtis. “I have so much respect for her, I think she’s probably the best promoter in our company.“It took time for her and her staff to find the balance between the Inland Empire and Los Angeles. She got the job done in the most difficult market ISC is in.“Our company will have to fill a big hole.”Curtis is one of two current ISC track presidents who worked for Zucker at Fontana. Dennis Bickmeier, in charge of Richmond (Va,) International Raceway, is the other.Not only did Zucker draw praise from within the industry, but from those within the area.“Gillian has been a fantastic leader for the Auto Club Speedway, and I know her boundless energy and enthusiasm for auto racing will be missed,” said Janice Rutherford, San Bernardino Supervisor for the 2nd district.“She’s proven herself to be a truly dedicated professional,” said Doug Stokes, vice president of communications. “We’ll all miss her in the motorsports community.”Zucker, who started her career as a sales assistant for Sports Illustrated, has experience other than motorsports. She was assistant general manager for the High Desert Mavericks of the California League in Adelanto before starting to move up in the sport. Her other positions included serving as an assistant general manager for the Durham (N.C.) Bulls; general manager for the Springfield (Ill.) Sultans and Lansing (Mich.) Lugnuts.She also served on the ISC executive management team and oversaw operations at Chicagoland and Kansas speedways.During her tenure at Fontana, she was among the industry leaders in creating a wide diversity of fans, to the point she took a pair of immersion courses in Spanish. In addition to broadening the NASCAR audience in the area, she successfully lobbied IndyCar for a return to the fast two-mile superspeedway after a four-year absence.In 2008, she completed a naming rights agreement with the Auto Club of Southern California that remains a model for ISC tracks.She is also active in activities away from the track. She serves on the board of the California Chamber, Los Angeles Sports Council, Los Angeles Sports and Entertainment Commission; was appointed to the California Travel and Tourism Commission, and also serves, at the request of Mayor Eric Garcetti, as a Los Angeles Convention Center commissioner. last_img read more

Continue Reading