April 27, 2021 Find out more February 26, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government urged to heed appeals for release of Hu Jia, who begins third month in detention June 2, 2021 Find out more ChinaAsia – Pacific RSF_en Organisation Follow the news on China Receive email alerts China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison China’s Cyber Censorship Figures Reporters Without Borders reiterates its call for the release of human rights activist Hu Jia, who will tomorrow begin his third month of detention by the Beijing public security bureau on a charge of inciting subversion of state authority, while his wife, Zeng Jinyan, and their baby girl, now three and a half months old, continue to be closely watched by the political police.”Hu Jia’s arrest and indictment just a few months before the start of the Beijing Olympic Games was a blatant provocation that prompted a series of protests in China and abroad”, the press freedom organisation said.”The Beijing authorities continue for the time being to turn a deaf ear to the calls for his release, but we hope the government will be forced to intercede on his behalf, as it already did for Ching Cheong and Yu Huafeng”, Reporters Without Borders added. “The release of all journalists and cyber-dissidents before the start of the Games is one of our demands”.More than one thousand Internet users have already signed the petition for Hu’s release on the Reporters Without Borders website: http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=25197Hu’s lawyer and family were recently able to visit him at the public security detention centre where he is being held in Beijing. Despite rumours that he could be freed soon, his friends and relatives say there is no indication that the authorities have decided not to try him.After being allowed to use her mobile phone again, his wife, Zeng Jinyan, was interviewed by Radio Free Asia on 21 February. She said she was surprised when she was finally allowed to visit her husband in prison on 17 February. Teng Biao, a lawyer and friend of the couple, said the international support for Hu Jia and his family has had an impact on the Chinese authorities, apparently persuading to relax the measures isolating them from the outside world.Police are still stationed at the entrance to the couple’s apartment building, surveillance cameras have been installed and a permanent police surveillance unit has been installed in an apartment above theirs. Zeng’s phone is being tapped and she said she was nervous about giving interviews, especially to foreign news media. She explained that the police could refuse to let her leave the apartment or see Hu Jia again.When a foreign reporter managed to visit the apartment last week, Zeng confirmed that she was very worried about Hu and his health, which is fragile.Hu’s lawyer, Li Fangping, said on 21 February that he was baffled by the way the case against his client was being conducted. “I think we may have to wait until the verdict in order to have access to the documents and evidence in the case file”, he said.Several friends of the couple are also still under police surveillance. Teng Biao’s passport has been confiscated since 28 January and he has been advised not to try to visit Zeng.On 27 December, Hu Jia was at home with Zeng and their then six-week-old daughter when about 20 policemen burst in at around 3 p.m., disconnected their Internet connection and phone lines and then left with Hu. Other policemen, who stayed in the apartment to prevent from Zeng alerting their friends about his arrest, showed her a warrant that said he was charged with “inciting subversion of state authority”. News News Help by sharing this information Two months after human rights activist Hu Jia’s arrest, Reporters Without Borders continues to campaign for his immediate release, while the protests about his detention continue in China and abroad, and his wife and friends remain under close police surveillance. to go further News Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News ChinaAsia – Pacific March 12, 2021 Find out more
The former Barcelona boss plans to return to the game next summer and has made it clear to friends he sees his future at Stamford Bridge.After winning three La Liga titles and two European Cups in four seasons at the Nou Camp, Guardiola, 41, quit this year and is in New York on a sabbatical with his family.When he announced he was taking a year off he was sounded out by Chelsea about taking over but he rejected the club’s approaches.Roberto Di Matteo was made to wait more than three weeks after Chelsea’s Champions League final win last May before being appointed full-time manager on a two-year deal.Chelsea, overtaken at the top of the Barclays Premier League by Manchester United on Saturday, are struggling in the defence of their European title and play Shakhtar Donetsk, who beat them a fortnight ago in the Ukraine, at home on Wednesday.After his success in Spain – he had a staggering 72 per cent win record in La Liga – Guardiola could have the pick of Europe’s top clubs but has made it known to his close circle of advisers that Chelsea is his preferred choice. There has been a noticeable shift in the type of player Chelsea are signing. Juan Mata, who signed in summer 2011, along with this season’s recruits Eden Hazard and Brazilian midfielder Oscar, have all been schooled to play a certain way.That has attracted Guardiola and there is pressure on owner Roman Abramovich as he considers his long-term plans for the club.Guardiola is credited with the evolution of Frank Rijkaard’s 2006 Champions League-winning team and took Barcelona to another level when they beat Manchester United in the final at Wembley in 2011.Lionel Messi thrived under him while Xavi and Andres Iniesta, both substitutes in the 2006 final against Arsenal, are now regarded as the two best midfielders in the world.Although Manchester City are monitoring Guardiola’s position, the champions are committed to Roberto Mancini. But that loyalty will be tested if they go out of the Champions League at the group stage for the second successive season.Mancini’s relationship with his players is once again fractured, and he is demanding a response against Ajax on Tuesday.City’s new chief executive Ferran Soriano and director of football Txiki Begiristain were at Barcelona during the glory years.