April 27, 2021 Find out more February 26, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government urged to heed appeals for release of Hu Jia, who begins third month in detention June 2, 2021 Find out more ChinaAsia – Pacific RSF_en Organisation Follow the news on China Receive email alerts China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison China’s Cyber Censorship Figures Reporters Without Borders reiterates its call for the release of human rights activist Hu Jia, who will tomorrow begin his third month of detention by the Beijing public security bureau on a charge of inciting subversion of state authority, while his wife, Zeng Jinyan, and their baby girl, now three and a half months old, continue to be closely watched by the political police.”Hu Jia’s arrest and indictment just a few months before the start of the Beijing Olympic Games was a blatant provocation that prompted a series of protests in China and abroad”, the press freedom organisation said.”The Beijing authorities continue for the time being to turn a deaf ear to the calls for his release, but we hope the government will be forced to intercede on his behalf, as it already did for Ching Cheong and Yu Huafeng”, Reporters Without Borders added. “The release of all journalists and cyber-dissidents before the start of the Games is one of our demands”.More than one thousand Internet users have already signed the petition for Hu’s release on the Reporters Without Borders website: http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=25197Hu’s lawyer and family were recently able to visit him at the public security detention centre where he is being held in Beijing. Despite rumours that he could be freed soon, his friends and relatives say there is no indication that the authorities have decided not to try him.After being allowed to use her mobile phone again, his wife, Zeng Jinyan, was interviewed by Radio Free Asia on 21 February. She said she was surprised when she was finally allowed to visit her husband in prison on 17 February. Teng Biao, a lawyer and friend of the couple, said the international support for Hu Jia and his family has had an impact on the Chinese authorities, apparently persuading to relax the measures isolating them from the outside world.Police are still stationed at the entrance to the couple’s apartment building, surveillance cameras have been installed and a permanent police surveillance unit has been installed in an apartment above theirs. Zeng’s phone is being tapped and she said she was nervous about giving interviews, especially to foreign news media. She explained that the police could refuse to let her leave the apartment or see Hu Jia again.When a foreign reporter managed to visit the apartment last week, Zeng confirmed that she was very worried about Hu and his health, which is fragile.Hu’s lawyer, Li Fangping, said on 21 February that he was baffled by the way the case against his client was being conducted. “I think we may have to wait until the verdict in order to have access to the documents and evidence in the case file”, he said.Several friends of the couple are also still under police surveillance. Teng Biao’s passport has been confiscated since 28 January and he has been advised not to try to visit Zeng.On 27 December, Hu Jia was at home with Zeng and their then six-week-old daughter when about 20 policemen burst in at around 3 p.m., disconnected their Internet connection and phone lines and then left with Hu. Other policemen, who stayed in the apartment to prevent from Zeng alerting their friends about his arrest, showed her a warrant that said he was charged with “inciting subversion of state authority”. News News Help by sharing this information Two months after human rights activist Hu Jia’s arrest, Reporters Without Borders continues to campaign for his immediate release, while the protests about his detention continue in China and abroad, and his wife and friends remain under close police surveillance. to go further News Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News ChinaAsia – Pacific March 12, 2021 Find out more
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. >> With Chase Utley possibly gone via free agency, the Dodgers’ search for a new second baseman could bring them back to their old second baseman.Howie Kendrick, who transitioned last year to more of an outfielder/utility player, is a candidate to once again be the Dodgers second baseman, according to General Manager Farhan Zaidi.Zaidi said he thinks Kendrick could re-acclimate himself to playing second if that’s what the Dodgers wanted.“Once he started getting comfortable in left, it was tougher to move back and forth (to the infield),” Zaidi said at the GM Meetings on Tuesday. “But if he came into camp as the second baseman, I don’t think he’d have any issues.” Of course, Zaidi made those comments just hours before a report from Fox Sports that they were exploring the idea of trading Kendrick. Kendrick’s market might be limited because of the direction his career has gone.Kendrick, 33, was an everyday second baseman with the Angels from 2007-14 and in 2015 with the Dodgers.The Dodgers re-signed him last winter after they had Utley, and they began moving him around the field. Beyond the question of whether Kendrick could be an everyday second baseman defensively is what he could do offensively.Last season he hit .188 in his first 27 games on his way to a career-worst .255, although his .326 on-base percentage was in line with his typical numbers. Kendrick will earn $10 million next season in the second year of a two-year contract.“He got off to a slow start and there were some concerns, but by the end, the way he ended the season, that’s more what you would expect from the ebb and flow of a season,” Zaidi said. “He had some great at-bats in the playoffs. That’s not a concern for us moving forward.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Free agent updateZaidi would commit to little about the Dodgers negotiations with their current free agents – he said they are talking to all of them – but he did concede that Justin Turner may be a higher priority because he’d be harder to replace.The Dodgers have plenty of starting pitching depth to replace Rich Hill and there are other marquee closers available to replace Kenley Jansen.The third base market is thin, though. After Turner, the next best free agent third baseman is Luis Valbuena.“That’s a spot where there aren’t a ton of free agent options,” Zaidi said. “We’d look internally or the trade route if it gets to that point (of replacing Turner).”AlsoZaidi said one of the Dodgers’ priorities this winter is getting some right-handed hitting to help improve their performance against left-handed pitchers. The Dodgers’ .622 OPS against lefties was the worst in the league … The Dodgers were among the teams that was represented at Greg Holland’s workout in Arizona on Monday. Holland, formerly one of baseball’s best closers, is trying to come back from Tommy John surgery.
KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter 2nd annual Aztecs for Life blood drive Posted: November 28, 2018 November 28, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI)- The Aztec community joined forces with the Red Cross today.They partnered up for their 2nd annual Aztecs for Life blood drive at Viejas Arena. The blood drive comes at a great time as the Red Cross says it’s facing a severe blood shortage due to fewer blood drives and donations. KUSI Newsroom